Mount Ban Ji, elevation 5430 meters, is a truly technical mountain peak in a picturesque setting. Mount Ban Ji provides the perfect staging grounds for preparation to climb 6000 meter mountains. It is also very conveniently located at just 250 kilometers (roughly a 6 hour drive) away from Chengdu, the largest city in Sichuan Province. From the base camp of 3570 meters climbers ascend roughly about 2000 meters to the peak. At around 5000 meters the technical aspects of the climb begin as climbers must navigate several crevasses and deal with steep climbing. Given the makeup of the mountain and its location, it is an ideal ground for a great challenge and possible training for even greater challenges.
Special Notes about the Route
- The difficulty of the Mount Ban Ji is greater than the popular Four Sisters Mountains of Sichuan Province due to the glaciers and the necessary glacier traverses. Its difficulty is similar to that of the north slope of YuZhu Feng in Qinghai Province. Although its elevation is 5430 meters, do not be deceived by the technical difficulty and mountaineering skill necessary to climb this mountain.
- It is a necessary to attend a high altitude mountaineering training course before climbing Mount Ban Ji due to the technical necessities of the mountain.
D1：Arrival in Beijing, China
Check in to our hotel and get settled in. Gear check. If time permits, visit a local sight of interest. Prepare for the next day’s travel.
D2：Travel from Beijing to Base Camp (3570 meters)
Fly from Beijing to Chengdu (2.5 hours) and then take a private vehicle 6 hours to Ban Ji Base Camp. Enjoy a sumptuous dinner and begin the process of acclimatization.
D3：Base Camp Acclimatization/Training Day (3570 meters)
The purpose of today is to adjust to the altitude and review the necessary safety procedures and techniques necessary for climbing the mountain.
D4：Base Camp to Camp One (4400 meters)
After breakfast we will begin the climb to Camp One which will take about 5 hours. After reaching Camp One at approximately 2 PM, we will settle into our camp and keep acclimatizing.
D5：Camp One to Camp Two (4890 meters)
After breakfast we will begin the climb to Camp Two which will take about 5 hours. After reaching Camp Two at approximately 2 PM, we will settle into our camp and get ready for the next day’s summit push. After an early dinner, we will rest to have energy for the next day’s climb.
D6：Camp Two to Summit (5430 meters) to Base Camp (3570 meters)
According to the weather conditions, we will set out for the summit at around 2 or 3 AM and follow the guides and mountain support to the summit. We will need to make it to the summit before 10 AM. After reaching the summit, we will begin the descent back down to Base Camp.
D7：Base Camp to Chengdu
After a restful nights’ sleep, we will drive about 6 hours back to Chengdu. On the way back we will stop and see the famous pandas of China! In the evening we will have a dinner together and a celebratory night in the hotel eating the famous Chengdu hotpot.
D8：Chengdu to Beijing
Today we will fly 2.5 hours from Chengdu to Beijing where we can get settled into our hotel. If time permits we will visit a site of local interest. In the evening, we will enjoy our last meal together.
In the case of inclement weather or other reasons, we will reserve one contingency day.
D10：Departure from Beijing
You are free to head back to your respective destinations at any time on this day.
The cost of a 10 day climb of Mount Ban Ji is 3000 USD per person for a group of 4 or more.
The price includes:
- a professional English speaking guide
- an assistant guide, all necessary porters and support crew
- all necessary group equipment (tents, radios, satellite phone, etc.)
- all necessary permits
- accommodation at a 4 star hotel in Beijing and Chengdu
- all accommodation and transportation after arrival in Beijing
- 3 meals per day and all necessary non-alcoholic beverages after arrival in Beijing
The price does not include:
- China visa fees
- transport to and from Beijing
- food and beverages outside of the 3 meals per day
- personal climbing gear (including sleeping bag and sleeping pad ~ technical climbing gear is not necessary)
- personal climbing insurance
NB: A minimum number of 4 clients is necessary to carry-out the trip. We look forward to our expedition together to Mount Ban Ji!